Passing on the Christian faith involves a partnership of generations, individuals and families.
GIFT is the acronym for Generations in Faith Together. GIFT events provide an opportunity for people of all ages to explore God’s love for them by sharing the gift of each other and the gift of faith.
In my role with Grow Ministries, I was visiting a congregation in Melbourne for their GIFT Advent worship service. It was a real pleasure to see the Grow Ministries GIFT resources come to life before my eyes and to experience the buzz of the occasion.
Worship was like most Sunday’s, but on this day the Gospel was read from a dramatised version by members of all ages. Following the sermon we were invited to respond to what we had heard by taking up one of the activities set out before us.
When we had the time we were rewarded with great discussion and much laughter.
Our family made an Advent chain. We took this home and used it in our home devotion times during Advent. We didn’t get to do every link as some days we just didn’t get to it. It didn’t matter because when we had the time we were rewarded with great discussion and much laughter.
We are now in the season of Lent and I’m helping my congregation plan a GIFT Lent event on Palm Sunday.
Inspired by my Melbourne visit we will be following a similar format.
- We are using the short skit and suggested activities from the Grow Ministries GIFT Lent resource.
- We have invited members of our planning team to take on preparing for and leading one of the activities.
- We have a range of activities from active ones, to crafty things and caring conversation groups.
- We will set up spaces at the front of our worship space and some at the back.
- Time will be given following the sermon for members of all ages to participate in one of the activities
Our hope is that this event, and ones like it in the future, will encourage relationships – those with peers and those with members from other generations.
I’ll let you know how it goes!
We’ve given you a free ‘GIFT’ – download the Palm Sunday resources…
It’s not too late!