by Jodi Brook, Director of Grow Ministries
We have always loved these beliefs about faith formation shared by friend and mentor of the Grow Ministries team, David Anderson. He writes in his book Vibrant Faith in the Congregation:
- Faith is formed by the power of the Holy Spirit through personal trusted relationships—often in our own homes.
- The church is a living partnership between the ministry of the congregation and the ministry of the home.
- Where Christ is present in faith, the home is church, too.
There has never been a better time in the life of the church to help equip and encourage faith at home. With our church buildings closed, children’s ministry, youth groups and adult faith formation either suspended or online, households have the opportunity to bring faith alive in their homes. While I love that many congregations are reaching out to their members with live-stream church or similar, I pray we don’t miss the opportunity to encourage faith conversations to take place in the home. Conversations beyond Sunday. Conversations that take place around the family meal table each night. This might be through a caring conversation followed by prayer.
Grow Ministries has some great resources to help facilitate these conversations. Check out the following via the links provided:
- Equipping for Intergenerational Ministry: Encouraging home devotions
- Talk Time cards
- Church at Home 2 resource pack - Sunday 19th April - Sunday 31st May
Please share theses resources with your families and encourage them to use them. Include some of the Caring Conversation questions from the Growing Faith at Home resources in your correspondence with them. Invite households to share what they are doing, through social media, to encourage others. Whatever you do, don’t miss the opportunity of encouraging families to share their faith with each other.