Opportunities are given to discover and express gifts and talents.
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. 1 Corinthians 12: 4-6
When Jesus sent out his disciples to share the Good News they were living out and experiencing God’s presence in and through them as they used the gifts and talents they had received through the Holy Spirit. This means every part of the body, regardless of their age, appearance or skills, has both value and purpose in God’s plan.
Each generation has a broad range of gifts and talents to offer. Our role is to help discover the gifts and talents of each person in our congregation and encourage all people to express them.
How can we effectively provide a safe space for people of all ages to express their gifts and talents?
- Recognise that all generations have something to offer.
- Be prepared to trust God’s calling and equipping of younger leaders.
- Give young people an opportunity to voice how they would like to see events/ministry occur. This may be different to how it ‘has always been done’, but allowing open conversations may birth new ideas that can have a lasting impact. Willing mentors can walk alongside the young people to guide and direct, sharing experience where necessary.
- Do not be afraid of change but understand that it may be difficult for some, and they may feel a sense of loss for the ‘old’ way of doing things.
- Help young people understand that not all ‘old’ things are bad and that everything new is not necessarily right and good. At times, compromise will need to be reached and an understanding of the past is important in looking towards the future.
Looking for a way to link Sunday worship with household faith formation Monday to Saturday? Would you like to provide resources to help parents and grandparents pass on the Christian faith in homes? Growing Faith at Home is a weekly Lectionary-based resource to help your households live, share and celebrate faith together each and every week!